Browse previous versions of a collection
- view/star/bookmark the selected version of the collection (name, description, files, etc. as they appeared after the update)
- preview/download the files as they appeared in the selected version
- copy the selected version into a new collection
- Build on work in #16718 and #16719
- The version selector is built on the collapsable ‘details’ pane to the right (see attached mockup) instead of the currently unused "Activity" tab. This would allow us to minimize the quantity of UI changes when displaying past versions.
- The versions listing should be ordered by date with the current version at the top.
- Should include consideration for how #16300 will work (user needs to select two versions in order to display differences).
#3 Updated by Tom Morris over 2 years ago
When searching collections, the user should have an option to include non-current versions in the results -- at least when searching by PDH.
Including old versions should always be an available search option (off by default). I'm not sure why it's restricted to searches by PDH.
"Data blocks" is an implementation detail. From the user's point of view, there's just data and metadata.
It feels like we may want a version number which users can easily use to reference a particular version of a collection, rather than forcing them to rely on dates or logical UUID chains.
#8 Updated by Lucas Di Pentima about 2 years ago
- Update the collection view to show version list (using a dropdown widget?) and allowing the user to select another version of the collection
- URL for previous versions:
- On previous versions, the “Copy to project…” button may be replaced by “Copy as new version…”. The “Move collection…” shouldn’t appear
- On previous versions, the “Upload” tab shouldn’t exist & file list should be read-only. The lock button isn’t necessary.
- On previous versions, name & description can’t be edited. Should “Sharing and permissions” pane appear?
#36 Updated by Peter Amstutz 3 months ago
Customer feedback about collection versions:
- Page needs to make it clear when you are viewing an old version
- Sharing dialog needs to operate on the latest version and and say that it will share the entire version history
- Tell the user you need to make a copy ("fork this version") to be able to edit or share a single past version
- Should be able to search for and access old versions by PDH (on the UI side, the search dialog should have "include_past_versions=true" on the API side it should permit GET by PDH even if it is a past version).
#38 Updated by Peter Amstutz 2 months ago
I'm wondering if there is a minimum viable ticket here that only includes:
- Something that says a collection is not the latest version
- A link to the latest version
- Tell the user they need to make a copy if they want to edit it
- Tell the user to go to the latest version if they want to share it