Create filter group from advanced search
Essentially, virtual projects are a special type of the "group" object with an embedded "filters" property. Virtual projects do not contain contents like other projects/groups, but instead their "contents" are defined by the result of a search query. This search query is described in the "filters" property, and is executed by controller (i.e. on the backend).
Workbench2 has an "advanced search" feature, accessible from the drop down menu at the right of the search bar (top of the screen).
Workbench2 has a "save this query" feature, where you can give queries an arbitrary name.
Now that "virtual projects" exist, the "save this query" feature could create a virtual project for the search query, rather than doing it the way it does now.
To be discussed¶
- If the "save this query" is replaced/improved with filter groups:
- Should user's filter groups be listed the same way as saved queries?
- Should old saved queries be removed or migrated? With a warning message at login time, maybe?
- How about the "Edit Project" dialog? Should it reuse the advanced search form to allow filtering updates?
- The advanced search form also allows the user to search on any or a specific cluster. Not sure if this can be achieved by filter groups.