Improve guidelines around loading indicators and status messages
Update the GUI coding guidelines
Updated by Stephen Smith 3 months ago
Here's a sample guideline for loading indicators, mostly codifies what we already have but the important things are the recent decision to not use the page spinner for background / partial page updates and a reminder not to use toasts to notify when an action is starting:
Loading indicator use-case guidelines¶
- Navigation between pages should be indicated using
- Only the initial load of the page or refreshes of the entire page (eg. triggered by the upper right refresh button) should use this indicator. Partial refreshes should use a more local indicator.
- Form submissions or user actions should be indicated by both the
progressIndicatorActions.START_WORKINGand by enabling the spinner on the submit button of the form (if the action takes place through a form AND if the form stays open for the duration of the action in order to show errors). If the form closes immediately then the page spinner is the only indicator.
- Toasts should not be used to notify the user of an in-progress action but only completion / error
And here are a few places where I found toasts being used to indicate an in progress action:
- Add/remove favorites
- Add/remove public favorites
- Remove process