Bug #3339

[Workbench] Project descriptions on the dashboard should be truncated at the first paragraph break.

Added by Peter Amstutz about 5 years ago. Updated about 5 years ago.

Status:
Resolved
Priority:
Normal
Assigned To:
Radhika Chippada
Category:
Workbench
Target version:
Start date:
08/25/2014
Due date:
% Done:

100%

Estimated time:
(Total: 0.00 h)
Story points:
0.5

Subtasks

Task #3713: Review 3339-truncate-project-descriptionsResolvedRadhika Chippada

Task #3680: Update project description display in dashboard to display textile formatted descriptionResolvedRadhika Chippada

Task #3681: Truncate project description display in dashboard at the first textile line breakResolvedRadhika Chippada

Associated revisions

Revision d1f510e7
Added by Radhika Chippada about 5 years ago

closes #3339
Merge branch '3339-truncate-project-descriptions'

History

#1 Updated by Peter Amstutz about 5 years ago

  • Category set to Workbench

#2 Updated by Peter Amstutz about 5 years ago

  • Story points set to 0.5

#3 Updated by Tom Clegg about 5 years ago

  • Subject changed from [Workbench] Project descriptions on the dashboard should only show the first sentence or first N characters of the project description. to [Workbench] Project descriptions on the dashboard should be truncated at the first empty line.

#4 Updated by Tom Clegg about 5 years ago

  • Target version set to 2014-08-27 Sprint

#5 Updated by Radhika Chippada about 5 years ago

  • Assigned To set to Radhika Chippada

#6 Updated by Tom Clegg about 5 years ago

  • Subject changed from [Workbench] Project descriptions on the dashboard should be truncated at the first empty line. to [Workbench] Project descriptions on the dashboard should be truncated at the first paragraph break.

#7 Updated by Radhika Chippada about 5 years ago

  • Status changed from New to In Progress

#8 Updated by Brett Smith about 5 years ago

Comments on 0fe8a55

  • From an code maintainability perspective, I don't understand why it's helpful to separate render_textile_attribute from render_textile_if_textile (the names make it difficult to remember the difference, since they have such similar signatures). My personal feeling is that it'd be simpler to make render_textile_if_textile a public method, add truncate=false to its arguments, and have one method cover both cases. Is there some reason this isn't appropriate?
  • The new tests check for misrendering twice. Please remove one of these assertions—probably the first one, since the second one checks the whole page.

Thanks.

#9 Updated by Radhika Chippada about 5 years ago

Brett:

1. I did some refactoring and tightening of the code, and also renamed the method.

2. I removed the extra check. An also, improved the test to verify that description is truncated.

#10 Updated by Brett Smith about 5 years ago

Radhika,

Thanks very much for these changes (d199bf8). I like this branch a lot. There's just one small typo in the current version: the tests add a <p/> to the project description that should be </p>. Please go ahead and merge with that fix. Thanks again.

#11 Updated by Radhika Chippada about 5 years ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Resolved

Applied in changeset arvados|commit:d1f510e7fa9f1b2656c54c1e9b3ea4e4466c9d1e.

Also available in: Atom PDF