[Workbench] Add "combine selected collections" and "combine selected files" actions to projects#show and collections#show pages.
#4 Updated by Radhika Chippada about 7 years ago
- Subject changed from [Workbench] Add "combine selected collections" and "combine selected files" actions to projects#show and collections#show pages. Retire clippy. to [Workbench] Add "combine selected collections" and "combine selected files" actions to projects#show and collections#show pages.
Removed "Retire clippy" from subject.
Tom and I discussed this story. According to Tom, when a pipeline needs individual files as input, the only way to accomplish this is to go to a collection and select the files into clippy, and then add the file(s) as input to the pipeline instance.
Due to this we cannot yet retire clippy.
Created a separate story to address this: #3791
#6 Updated by Radhika Chippada about 7 years ago
Since we do not yet have file picker and hence since it is not possible to select files from within a project, added only one option to selections drop-down in project page. This button can be used to combine collections from within the a project's Data collections tab.
#7 Updated by Peter Amstutz about 7 years ago
- I went to my "home" project and selected three items, and then clicked on "Selection... → Combine selections into new collection". The page refreshed the home project instead of redirecting to the page for the newly created collection. Since collections on the project page are not sorted (bug #3618 #3139) I can't find the newly created collection.
- Other selection dropdown actions (such as copy or move) do not redirect the user to the "other" object. Hence, I felt it is desirable that this action also does not take the user to the newly created object. After discussing with Peter, we agreed that this is desirable. We also agree that once the collection sort issue is resolved + a name is added, it will not be confusing.
- The newly created collection should have a name assigned to it
- Added name during combining using the format "Collection created at <timestamp>"
- Clippy seems to be broken. I selected three things and the selection count next to the paperclip says (3) but when I click on the dropdown, the selections are not listed (or is this intentional?)
- Since I added combine action to projects as well as collections, I removed it from clippy. Hence, clippy now has only "Clear selections" option.
- After combining collections, they should be unselected in clippy.
- Since we are going to retire clippy in the near future, did not invest time on this after discussing with Peter.
- On the collection view page, the command should be labeled "Copy files to a new collection", calling it "combine selections" is counterintuitive.
- The selection tick box on the collections page ought to go on the left hand side, not the right, for consistence with the projects page.
- Also, during manual testing I learned that this same show page is used in the collection file chooser popup and the selection dropdown shows up in that view. Fixed this buggy behavior.
#8 Updated by Peter Amstutz about 7 years ago
1, 2. Giving the collection a name seems to pull it to the top of the project so now I can find it.
3, 4. There's still some problematic interaction between clippy and the selection checkboxes, but we agreed to fix that in a different story
5. For all the pages, I'd like to change the word "Combine" (in "Combine selected collections" and "Combine selected files") to "Copy" because "Combine" suggests that it alters the source collections.
6. The checkboxes feel a little cramped, could you add some padding in between the checkbox and the file icon?
7. The file size are differently aligned for the lines that have the "view" icon and the ones that do not.