[API] [Maybe] Update API server to support Git 1.7.2
As a matter of practice, we require at least git 1.7.10. CentOS 6 ships with git 1.7.2. There are at least two git-related things that don't work with 1.7.2:
- Our Gitolite installation instructions tell you to set
git config push.default simple. "simple" is not an accepted value for this setting on 1.7.2.
- The Commit class in API server runs
git check-ref-format --allow-onelevel. git 1.7.2 does not have the
--allow-onelevelswitch, causing API operations that require a git lookup to fail.
I think we can get away without setting
push.default, or setting it to
--allow-onelevel is maybe slightly trickier, but we might want to investigate if there's a 1.7.2-compatible way to do the same thing.
If we decide to do this, we should also update the install guides, and maybe Rails package dependencies, to note the lower version requirement.
#1 Updated by Brett Smith about 4 years ago
- Target version changed from 2015-09-02 sprint to Arvados Future Sprints
Kicking this off for lack of engineering consensus. Possible solutions:
- Change the code as anticipated in the current description.
- Build our own backported git package and have people install that.
This needs more exploration and discussion before it's ready to go on a sprint.
#2 Updated by Brett Smith about 4 years ago
- Subject changed from [API] [Documentation] Figure out, maybe adjust, and document our git requirement to [API] [Maybe] Figure out, maybe adjust, and document our git requirement
- Description updated (diff)
- Category set to API
Updating to reflect that this ticket is controversial and lower priority. Split off the "document 1.7.10 requirement" story into #7010.