Arvados Workbench 2 - Feature #19841: New WB2 Features
Ability to tell the user about system maintenance. Want a banner on workbench2.
A very simple implementation could be a public config item exported by Controller where an admin can populate a message to be shown to user, e.g. "we are aware of performance issues and are investigating a fix" or "scheduled maintenance on Saturday November 29th 21:00-23:00, Arvados will be unavailable".
Display of the banner could be one of (TBD):
Box at the top of the screen, which pushes the content down until it is dismissedthis is going to difficult with the existing layout, some things are fixed number of pixels from the top
- Dialog overlay that pops up when the app is loaded, which must be dismissed
Could add a menu item to the "notification" menu which brings the message back after being dismissed.
Assume data will come from a URL which will be part of the public config.
The URL body will have HTML which should be rendered inside the banner box.
Updated by Moritz Gilsdorf 6 months ago
Another use case similar to this would be to permanently display a disclaimer on specific environments. E.g. some users are not able to distinguish between our dev/test environment and upload production data. The banner could inform them permanently that this is a dev/test environment.
Updated by Peter Amstutz 13 days ago
From discussion with Moritz:
- For now, use the plain dialog box control for the overlay.
- Load HTML from the config URL and injects it as raw HTML into the content of the box (it is the responsibility of the user for it to be well formed, we're assuming only admins are allowed to set the contents.)
- When dialog box is dismissed, record in local storage that the dialog box was displayed.
- It should record the URL, the date, and the ETag from the request headers
- On reloading the app: If the local storage says the dialog box was previously shown, check the URL and headers in local storage. If the URL, date or ETag has changed, redisplay the dialog. If not, suppress it.
- There should be a menu item (perhaps under the bell "notify" menu) which redisplays the dialog.